Memorize this verse as a family:
Matthew 4:17: From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of God is near.”
Listen. During the season of Epiphany (Epiphany means show), we have been learning stories that show us what Jesus is like. So far, we have heard other people tell us who Jesus is, like God the Father and John the Baptist. Now we will hear from Jesus himself.
- If you lived in darkness all the time, how would you feel?
- What would you want to see?
Read Matthew 4:12-16.
- What is Jesus like?
- How is he hope for people who are “living in darkness”?
Jesus also brings a message of hope:
Matthew 4:17: From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.”
Every kingdom has a king. Jesus is the king of the kingdom of heaven.
- What would a kingdom ruled by Jesus be like?
- What will this kingdom have? Not have?
- What will it be like to live there?
- Is Jesus’ kingdom better than the world we live in?
The news that Jesus’ kingdom is very close is very good news.
Activity. Draw pictures of what Jesus’ kingdom might look like. Ask each person to explain their picture and what makes it different from other places.
Respond. If Jesus is light for those living in darkness, and if Jesus brings a message of hope that his kingdom is really, really close, what should we do?
Jesus gives us one word: REPENT. Repent means to turn; to turn away from our bad life.. Repent means to turn away from sin and turn to God. Read Matthew 4:18-22 together.
- When Peter, Andrew, James, and John turn to God, who do they start following?
- How will you follow Jesus together as a family?
- What sins will you help each other turn away from?
- How will you ask God for help?
Share. Peter, Andrew, James and John leave their nets and they begin to follow Jesus.
- What does Jesus promise to turn them into if they follow him?
Fishers for people (men) are those who invite others to turn and follow Jesus.
- Who will you fish for?
- Who will you invite to follow Jesus with you?
Make praying for your five a part of your family’s routine. Pray each day for five people praying two things:
- That God will do things in their lives so that they want to follow Jesus.
- That God will give you chances to invite them to follow Jesus with you.