Memorize this passage as a family:
Exodus 20:8-11: Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the aliens within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore God blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Listen. God made the world in six days, but he rested on the seventh. He didn’t do it because he was tired. He did it give to give us rest. He did it to give the world rhythm, work six days, but have a special day of rest on the seventh. In the Old Testament, Israel celebrated their Sabbath (day of rest) from Friday night to Saturday night. Today, we get to take one day off in seven as a family. We are to make this day special by: finding ways to remember God and worship him, spending time with people we love, enjoying the world that God has made, and doing things that are fun and give us rest.
Discussion. Why did God take a day of rest after he made the world? Why are some people afraid to take a day off? How can we remember God on our day off? How can we spend time with those we love? How can we enjoy the world God has made? What fun things can we do together to make this day special?
Set Goals. Make a plan to take one day a week as a family, and make it a special day of rest (Sabbath). Make sure this plan includes: remembering God, spending time with people we love, enjoying God’s world, and fun things that make the day special.
- Listen to God. Sit silently in his presence; listen for his voice, submit yourself to his will for the day.
- Respond to God. Pray through the outline of the Lord’s Prayer: worship, surrender, daily needs, forgiveness, and protection.
- Bible Reading. Read the Bible as a disciple, listening to what God has to say, responding with obedience, repentance, worship, and trust, and sharing with others what you are learning.
- Praying for your five. Pray for five people in your life that God will work through the circumstances of their life so that they are open to follow Jesus. Pray for opportunities to invite them to follow Jesus with you.
- Prayer with others. Pray with spouse, family, and others.
- Discipling Friendships. Cultivate friendships with others for the purpose of following Jesus together.
- Community Worship. Join with fellow believers to receive the Gospel through the Word and communion and respond with worship and prayer.
- Participate in trainings that develop your gifts and deepen your walk as a disciple of Jesus.
- Give your time, money, and talent. Give what God has entrusted to you to love your neighbor, make disciples, and strengthen the church.
- Sabbath. Take a twenty-four hour break, where you cease from all paid and unpaid work. Connect with God, family, and friends. Rest. Play. Enjoy activities that recharge you.