Memorize this verse as a family:
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell richly as you teach and admonish each other with all wisdom, as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your heart.
Listen. Community worship is when people who love Jesus meet together to learn the Bible and sing songs to God because we are thankful for him. That is what Colossians 3:16 is all about.
Discussion. If wisdom is knowing what God wants us to and doing it, what should we do with what we learn at church from the Bible? Let the kids think about this a moment. The idea is that whatever we learn from the Sermon or Sunday School, we should encourage each other to live it and teach it to others.
In church we sing songs of praise to God. Why should we be thankful for God? What has he done for us? Make a list of reasons for why you are thankful for God. You can think of big things like Jesus dying on the cross, but also things that God has done for your family in particular. It is good to remember your story.
We worship God through singing, are there other ways to worship God? Worship is anything we do that tells people how great God is. Get them thinking along those lines.
Set Goals. How can you make the most of attending community worship at church? Make a plan as a family. How can you practice community worship, learning the Bible and worshiping God, as a family in your home?
- Listen to God. Sit silently in his presence; listen for his voice, submit yourself to his will for the day.
- Respond to God. Pray through the outline of the Lord’s Prayer: worship, surrender, daily needs, forgiveness, and protection.
- Bible Reading. Read the Bible as a disciple, listening to what God has to say, responding with obedience, repentance, worship, and trust, and sharing with others what you are learning.
- Praying for your five. Pray for five people in your life that God will work through the circumstances of their life so that they are open to follow Jesus. Pray for opportunities to invite them to follow Jesus with you.
- Prayer with others. Pray with spouse, family, and others.
- Discipling Friendships. Cultivate friendships with others for the purpose of following Jesus together.
- Community Worship. Join with fellow believers to receive the Gospel through the Word and communion and respond with worship and prayer.
- Participate in trainings that develop your gifts and deepen your walk as a disciple of Jesus.
- Give your time, money, and talent. Give what God has entrusted to you to love your neighbor, make disciples, and strengthen the church.
- Sabbath. Take a twenty-four hour break, where you cease from all paid and unpaid work. Connect with God, family, and friends. Rest. Play. Enjoy activities that recharge you