Memorize this verse as a family:
1 Thessalonians 2:8 We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us.
Listen. The Apostle Paul helped the Thessalonians learn to follow Jesus by sharing the gospel and his life with them.
The gospel is good news about Jesus, that he died for our sins, rose from the dead and is coming back to make the world brand new with nothing bad and sad. There will be no sickness, death and goodbyes in Jesus’ new world. We can live with Jesus in this new world if we turn from our sin and follow him.
Paul also became friends with the Thessalonians and loved them like family. His life showed them how to love others and follow Jesus.
We teach people to follow Jesus by telling them the gospel and showing them how to follow Jesus in how we love.
Discuss. How can we learn the gospel, Jesus’ good news, as a family? How can we show each other how to follow Jesus, by loving each other? (Challenge the kids to be specific.)
- Take what you discussed and put together a specific and simple plan to teach each other Jesus’s good news and to show each other how to follow Jesus by loving each other.
- Who is someone outside your family you can tell about Jesus and show how to follow Jesus by loving them?
- Listen to God. Sit silently in his presence; listen for his voice, submit yourself to his will for the day.
- Respond to God. Pray through the outline of the Lord’s Prayer: worship, surrender, daily needs, forgiveness, and protection.
- Bible Reading. Read the Bible as a disciple, listening to what God has to say, responding with obedience, repentance, worship, and trust, and sharing with others what you are learning.
- Praying for your five. Pray for five people in your life that God will work through the circumstances of their life so that they are open to follow Jesus. Pray for opportunities to invite them to follow Jesus with you.
- Prayer with others. Pray with spouse, family, and others.
- Discipling Friendships. Cultivate friendships with others for the purpose of following Jesus together.
- Community Worship. Join with fellow believers to receive the Gospel through the Word and communion and respond with worship and prayer.
- Participate in trainings that develop your gifts and deepen your walk as a disciple of Jesus.
- Give your time, money, and talent. Give what God has entrusted to you to love your neighbor, make disciples, and strengthen the church.
- Sabbath. Take a twenty-four hour break, where you cease from all paid and unpaid work. Connect with God, family, and friends. Rest. Play. Enjoy activities that recharge you.